Tuesday, November 1, 2011

A dream come true...

A decade ago..

I was switching channels on our new TV. I was bored. Nothing good was on TV. Hoping for an old cricket match, I switched onto Star Sports. I saw some fancy names flash on the TV.
Schumacher, Hakkinen, Coulthard, Irvine, Villeneuve, Heinz-Harald Frentzen, Barichello, Giancarlo Fisichella and so on..
All weird names; I was somehow attracted. It was a Formula 1 Grand prix. I watched the whole race that day. It was fun, even better than the names that drew me towards it.
With every grand prix, I grew closer towards becoming an F1 fan.
Spa 2000 sealed it for me.
What started out as curiosity became an addiction.

For many years, the only thing I wanted out of my life was to witness a grand prix live and to see Schumi in person.

Three years back..

It was a rainy Sunday morning. I was still in bed, speculating when I should get out of sleep. I heard a beep on my cellphone tucked under the pilow nearby. I had received a text message from a friend, "Renault Nissan Walk-in today @Loyola" I rubbed my eyes in disbelief, 'Really? The Renault? Renault which Alonso drives?' I was up in a jiffy, and decided to give it a go with zero preparation. With almost 800 people giving interviews I wasn't very hopeful. As fate would have it I got through, with 4 other people!

A month back..
I have been working as a Software Developer in the Dealers Network of Renault. Not quite what I imagined my job to be. My manager ushered me to the town-hall meeting we have every month. After the routine announcements and awards something different happened. The Indian Grand Prix was being held in Delhi, in less than a month, and the company was sponsoring a few of our employees. Five of us were to be selected from the IS section. What are my chances? 1:100. Not so good. "Damn!" I cursed under my breath.

After four random people -who had absolutely no knowledge about F1- they called out my name, and our Head HR managed to murder my Dad's name attached as my surname.

A couple of days back..
I am at the Buddh Internation Circuit, Delhi, screaming my heart out. I never knew watching the race live would be so much different. To see those lean and mean machines bullet through the course was exhilarating. Raw power and pure elegance; that is was formula one is all about.  It was one of the most memorable days of my life.
A dream has finally come true :)

That's Schumi @ BIC, Delhi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please drop a comment. It will make me happy :) Thank you for reading